Light is imperative in order for our eyes to process what we see clearly. Too little light can cause eye strain, just as much as too much light can. Whether you’re at home or in the office, there are a few lighting tips you should keep in mind to make sure your vision stays clear and healthy.
While staring at a computer screen can cause eye strain the light surrounding you can also become a problem. If you have control over your work environment, consider the following:
- Use softer lighting, and reduce the intensity of bulbs
- Reduce glare from other sources (i.e. windows) or use an anti-glare shield
- Adjust the brightness of your computer
- Use natural light from your window instead of fluorescent lighting
At home, there are just as many things you can do to avoid eye strain:
- Avoid reading in low light by using a table lamp
- Switch out cool white fluorescent bulbs for low-energy ones
- Make use of natural lighting whenever possible
- Quit smoking (or never start) and eat plenty of foods rich in Vitamins and Omega 3
Though these tips are a standard for less eye strain, consider a consultation with your doctor, especially if you have poor vision and/or are experiencing headaches.